Your team members should know more about what’s going on in your business than anyone else. Survey them regularly, and survey all of them.
Here’s a suggested approach:
- Prepare a questionnaire, allowing room for expansive answers
- Make it easy for people to respond (i.e. email etc.)
- Make it voluntary and confidential
- Use an outside facilitator – this will help you get a higher response rate
- Insist (and publicise) that the outside facilitator maintains absolute secrecy as to individual responses
Here’s a sample questionnaire for team members:
Data Gathering Questionnaire
- Identify at least three things that our business does well and, in your opinion, should continue to do
- What are three things that our business doesn’t do well?
- What have you heard from customers that concerns you the most?
- If you were in charge, what are three things you would change immediately?
- What opportunities should we be exploring?
- How can we improve communications within our company?
- What things are people not talking about openly, but which should be addressed?
- What causes you frustration about working here?
- What do you believe are the key values of our company?
- What other suggestions do you have for the owners of the company?